Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
As this is the first time collaborating with Zyncro blog, I will introduce myself. My name is Isabel Vazquez. I live in Figueres and I have been at Inspirit since 2003 as communications manager, especially on new projects that arise from our technology incubator. Recently I have also helped Didac Lee prepare his speeches.
For my first post I would like to share the main conclusions of Joaquin Llorente’s talk which I attended recently.
Gerona, 21st September 2011. Listening to a talk by Joaquin Llorente does not leave you feeling indifferent. Today I have had the opportunity of listening to the great communications master at his conference at Tribuna de Girona, called “You can do it: new ideas to help you reach your potential“. You get the feeling he is speaking from experience, he is a great communicator and statements he makes give you something to think about. I would like to share the following with you:
- We may only allow ourselves to be pessimistic during good times, not in times like these. Only a positive attitude will help us overcome a crisis.
- Pessimism creates a shadow in our minds. Let us look after our minds as much as, or even more than our bodies. At the end of the day, we are our minds.
- We must understand the concept of “evolution” as part of our lives and of society. We have always evolved (despite not knowing in which direction). The difference now is that evolution is a lot faster (but we continue not to know in which direction we are headed).
- We have a limited time and energy. Let us not waste it. Let us not waste time trying to answer questions that will take us nowhere.
- The common denominator among people that triumph is PASSION. Knowledge is a still motor. Attitude is what sets it in motion.
- The coming generations possess a knowledge base like never before and in addition, a level of freedom and ease to move around the world that was unthinkable some years back.
- Young people are creating their own paradigm and adult generations do not deserve credibility as we are demonstrating that we have not done things correctly.
- Marketing is back to front. We do not consider the marketing using the product as the base. Let us come up with a product to which the client can say “wow” and create marketing efforts from that point onwards.
- What is this new paradigm based upon? Young people tend to want to be rather than to have and in addition, they possess a great deal of humanity.
- This way of life that the young have, their aspiring to be rather than to have, implies there are opportunities for businesses in areas such as housing (it is no longer an ambition to own housing space), food (ecologic, variety…), textiles (comfort vs fashion)…
- Let us ask ourselves, why should others believe in me? (clients, our partners, friends…) We should provide a reason for to think of us rather than of someone else.
- The ‘sale’ is a miracle because the client commits an act of faith. It is up to us to demonstrate that we are offering something better than that offered by the competition.
- Goodwill is something we do not want to lose. Goodwill should be a part of our products and services, satisfying the needs of our clients. We should offer clients such a product that it would be missed if they were to stop using it.
- The ego is is a strong hold hair gel that penetrates the skull resulting in a useless brain. (Good one )
- Following success, there are many punches thrown.
- A company’s main asset is its people. Get closer to them, ask their opinions, ask them how they would do things. You will be surprised at how much knowledge and ideas they have!
- The same with clients. A businessman/woman must roll their sleeves up at the street level. There should be less marketing research ordered from consultancies and more walking the streets for answers. The truth is out there. The best way of gaining knowledge is by speaking to people.
- ¿Do you need a challenge? Everything can be improved! Don’t make a Sunday roast, make the best Sunday roast you possibly can!
- When you want to bounce off some ideas, compress them beforehand. It is the only way for them to be grasped.
- Large or small companies? The size does not matter, it is only important for them to work!
- A business does not exist if somebody does not take it with them each night to sleep on. Do things well and make decisions that require effort, always have the project in mind.
- The triangle of success: An idea, a good deal of instinct and a lot of courage.
- The triangle for failure: Lots of ideas, a bit of instinct and zero courage.
- When faced with a problem, find support, inspiration, help and resources in others, but the solution lies within yourself.
- The greatest workout for the mind is to ask oneself questions and draw out our own answers, leaving behind the restricted answers thought of by others.