Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
We spend a third of our lives in the workplace, so being happy is a must for us to ensure a healthy lifestyle. Here are a few keys points to help you achieve this:
1. Have a list of goals. We all know that working in vain leads to a lack of fulfillment. So it’s essential to establish clear and concise goals for the short to medium term. These goals should be achievable, measurable and you must be determined to meet them. In fact, you should have a list of weekly, monthly and yearly work goals: to reach a number of sales, to achieve or learn something, to obtain a promotion, finish a tedious task…
2. Control the outcome. Everything that takes place depends on you, so don’t blame your boss or your colleagues or partners. You must be in control and aware of all of the variables within your work. Plan tasks, have key documents at hand and know what is going to happen tomorrow before anybody else does. Prepare meetings and avoid surprises: don’t make excuses and try to make sure you are not taken by surprise. One of the most common factors that leads to unhappiness at work is probably that feeling being out of control when many tasks and responsibilities have been handed to you, leading to feelings of being overworked and that you are not controlling the situation.
3. Build a team and have fun. Surround yourself with a great team, a great manager, great colleagues. Be loyal, provide help to all, be generous and all of this will be reflected in your work. Feel like part of the bigger picture and live by it: the feeling of belonging to a group united by one objective is priceless. Communicate in an open manner: don’t keep information to yourself, be transparent, have a coffee or lunch with people. Everything you give will come back to you.
4. Learn something new every day. Make an effort to learn something new every day, soak up the daily experiences, watch clients, read the newspaper, analyze the reasons behind your manager’s decisions (as well as those of the politicians in the newspapers). If you don’t evolve and continue doing the same work day after day for the rest of your life, you will never get a raise. The day you stop learning, leave the company. Do it in a quiet and peaceful manner.
5. Make decisions, take action. Avoid thinking too hard while going over things constantly in your head. Forget the research studies and take action: don’t be afraid to make decisions or mistakes. Don’t stop when faced with complicated situations, just make a decision and act quickly but don’t be complacent that you are always choosing the best solution; though it will certainly be better than not doing anything. What could happen is that you make a mistake. Could it really be that bad?
6. Don’t complain. Stop complaining. If you don’t like your boss, leave the company. If you think your salary is poor, make an effort to improve and learn. Deal with your issues discreetly; don’t defend your extra efforts whether you work nights or weekends. Deal with it or enjoy it by yourself; don’t send emails at night or at weekends to demonstrate that you work during all hours. Complaining about what happens to you is a weakness of the soul. If you aren’t happy with your salary and you have made an effort to improve and learn and have not received any recognition, leave your job but please, don’t spend a lifetime wining at the watercooler about how unfair it all is.
7. Practice sports. If you work hard, you will need to carry out some sporting activity in order to handle pressure and clear your thoughts. You can do this at lunchtime or in the evenings, but remember that you need to work up a sweat and reach exhaustion. If you also do long-distance (running, swimming or cycling), you will be training a number of skills that you can use at work: endurance, perseverance, the warm up prior to challenging situations…
8. Earn. If you are over 28 years old, the honeymoon period is over and it’s time to focus on earnings. If you do not earn, you will not be happy. If you do not feel compensated, you will not be happy. If you cannot go out for dinner or go away for the weekend, you will not be happy. If you follow these points carefully, you will be likely to be more efficient at work, be more valuable and your value (your salary) will increase.
… ok then, now we know the 8 key points but how can we put them into practice? Zyncro can help you plan objectives, organize information and have greater control over activities and decisions. You will also see your team united and working in harmony like a band sharing experiences, decisions and discussions that you can make use of time and time again while you create a unique and recoverable knowledge base that you will be able to use for more effective decision-making at any given time.